Born in Cheshire, England in 1956 and educated at Sedbergh School, Yorkshire; Millfield School, Somerset and Birmingham University with an honours degree in English Literature and Philosophy. After a brief stint as an account executive with a London advertising agency Richard King moved to the Greek island of Paros in 1980 to try to become a novelist. However he soon became interested in sculpture after seeing the beauty of the Parian Lychnitis marble, unique for its translucency of up to thirty to forty centimetres.
He began carving in 1983 and is autodidact. He works predominantly in marble: transluscent white marble from Prinos, Thassos and occasionally the rare Parian Lychnitis and the jet black Noir de Mazy marble / limestone from Belgium.
His works are inspired by the forms of nature; marine and plant life; his biomorphic forms, organic sensual metaphors. Though he rarely exhibits his work in public spaces, his studio is regularly visited by people from all parts the world and his sculptures are part of private collections in Greece and throughout Europe (Italy, France, Monaco, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Belgium, Holland, Sweden, The United Kingdom and Ireland) and as far afield as the USA, Canada, The Bahamas, Zimbabwe, Israel and Abu Dahbi. A number of his works are part of a large collection of 20th Century Art in the Celebrity Art Collection of Celebrity Cruises, and part of an important collection of 20th Century Greek Art at the Alexander S. Onassis Foundation.
- 2007 The Apothiki Gallery, Parikia, Paros, Greece.
- 1999 Aghios Athanasios, Naoussa, Paros, Greece.
- 2004 The Apothiki Gallery, Parikia, Paros, Greece.
- 1998 The Air Gallery, London, England.
- 1995 Studio Yria, Kostos, Paros, Greece.
- 1994 Gallery Metaxas, Naoussa, Paros, Greece.
- 1987 Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, France.
- 1985 4th. Annual Exhibit of Greek and International Artists; Paros, Greece.
- 1984 3rd. Annual Exhibit of Greek and International Artists; Paros, Greece.
PUBLIC / CORPORATE COLLECTIONS
- The Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation, 56 Amalias Ave. Athens, Greece.
- The Aegean Centre for Fine Arts
- Chandris Hellas Inc, Chandris House, 95 Akti Miaouli, Pireaus, Greece.
- The Celebrity Art Collection:
- 1997 M/V Mercury. Celebrity Cruises.
- 1996 M/V Galaxy. Celebrity Cruises.
- 1995 M/V Century. Celebrity Cruises